Sunday, July 28, 2013

The best walk in the park I have EVER taken.

I visited the Wannsee district of Berlin.  Wannsee is less urban than how one would picture Berlin, as it is right by the water and it reminded me of RI's Newport area.  There I visited the Max Liebermann Villa.  Max Liebermann was a German-Jewish impressionist painter.  Then I went to visit the areas by Glienicke Brucke.



Some parts of Wansee actually reminded me of Newport!

And here it is, a gorgeous home.







Beautiful view of the water from the back.





Here are some of his works displayed at the museum.














On my way across Glienicke Bruke to Babelsberg Park.  Glienicke Brucke was also called the Agent's Bridge because in the time of the Cold War it served as a place of negotioation and exchange of political prisoners among the GDR, USA and USSR.  The English nicknamed it The Bridge of Spies.







Hooded Crow, very common here.

Walking through Babelsberg Park




Dampfmaschinenhaus, steamengine house.





A peak inside







Distant view of Glienicke Bruke

Schloss Babelsberg:  the summer residence of Prince William, later Emperor William I and his wife, Augusta, of the House of Saxe-Weimar.  It was being renovated, so unfortunately half was covered.




Here is what it SHOULD look like.

A gorgeous statue I stumbled upon at the park!  Statue of the Archangel Michael fighting the dragon.  It was erected in 1848 to remember the Prussian fallen soldiers of the Baden Uprising.







And here I walked through the park of Schloss Glienike.  It was a residence of Prince Carl of Prussia, Son of Friedrich Wilhelm III.





















Ah, the Brandenburg Tor(Gate)!



The Quadriga at the top










\



Russian Embassy!






No comments:

Post a Comment