Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Why hello there!

I took my first week here pretty easy and focused on acclimation.  I spent a lot of time visiting local places and walking around some neighborhoods.  I mastered using the S-Bahn and U-Bahn so getting from place to place is now quite simple.  Here are some pictures from my exploring:

Impressive chalk art at Alexanderplatz

Weltzeituhr (Worldtime Clock) at Alexanderplatz that displays the time for various places around the world.



Come take a walk with me!
I do enjoy taking pictures of fancy graffiti.















The Spanish Embassy at Tiergarten


Biergarten menu;  A biergarten is synonymous with summer for local Germans and a big part of the culture.  It is a crowded, outdoor sunny spot where people come to socialize and unwind and have a few drinks, (despite the pricey menu).  You share long tables with friends or strangers and it is a fun place overall whether you drink or don't.  While they originated in southern Germany and are most common there(Especially Bavaria), they can now be found all over the world.

The somewhat indoor area where you order your desired beverages.

Its quite early now, as you can see by the empty tables.  Trust me, it got MUCH more crowded later into the afternoon.


Nice view by the water, and rowboats available.


Why yes, that is a DJ in the background in a lifeguard chair on top of two row boats.

Long days in the summer.  It is almost 9:00pm in this picture!

Mauerpark Flea Market.  This takes place every Sunday and has many many booths!  Nice details here: http://www.slowtravelberlin.com/2010/11/12/mauerpark-flea-market/











Outside of the fleamarket, many people sit and hang out, play some music, karaoke too, apparently!  Unfortunately it was not bustling as much as usual because it was rather cold that day.

Street performers!

Street performers in traffic

Next, I need to explore the Stadtmitte area; There are some gorgeous buildings that need to be photographed.



On another note, my friends and I are planning a trip to Prague and then Amsterdam which I am greatly looking forward to. 

That's all for now, Tschüss!!

1 comment: