Thursday, August 8, 2013

Berliner Dom, Pergammon Museum and Holocaust Memorial

Ah, the Berliner Dom.  I told you in one of my first posts I would get a closer look at it, and I kept that promise!  It is GORGEOUS.  I sat in the field in front of it and stared for quite a while.  Easily one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen(so far).  In the next update, I will show you the inside, as I went to a concert inside.  
Next, I went to the Pergammon museum:
"The site was designed by Alfred Messel and Ludwig Hoffmann and was constructed in twenty years, from 1910 to 1930. The Pergamon houses original-sized, reconstructed monumental buildings such as the Pergamon Altar and the Market Gate of Miletus, all consisting of parts transported from Turkey."















The Pergamon Altar



The Market Gate of Miletus







My favorite, The [reconstruction of] Ishtar Gate and the Processional Way, from Babylon.
There were two gates, The smaller one in front and the larger one behind it.  This here is the smaller one.  






Code of Hammurabi!!!!!!!!!!!  Actually no, the real one is in the Louvre.  This is a replica.  I got too excited when I saw this, followed by disappointment.  Still awesome though!
Outside the Sony Center



























Lots of musicians playing in the area, I sat and listened to this one.





Here is the courtyard at the Bendlerblock, where those behind the 20 July plot to assassinate Hitler were executed.  There was a movie about it made recently called Valkyrie.









Holocaust Memorial.  Very well done.  At first it looks like the blocks are approximately the same height, but once you start to walk around them, the ground level decreases and fluctuates and the concrete slabs vary in size.  "According to Eisenman's[the architect/designer] project text, the stelae are designed to produce an uneasy, confusing atmosphere, and the whole sculpture aims to represent a supposedly ordered system that has lost touch with human reason."
"It consists of a 19,000 m2 (4.7-acre) site covered with 2,711 concrete slabs or "stelae", arranged in a grid pattern on a sloping field."










No comments:

Post a Comment