Monday, September 2, 2013

Couchsurfing in Amsterdam

Ah, Amsterdam.  Gorgeous city.  Absolutely beautiful.
Well, actually, before I get to that, let me tell you a little about Couchsurfing if you have not already heard of it.  A very useful website indeed!  Since the people that I was planning on going with on my Amsterdam and Prague excursion kept cancelling and postponing, I had to take matters into my own hands before my time in Berlin was up.  My main problem was that I could not find anyone that was interested enough to go on any excursions with me.  Also, it can be a little scary going to a whole new country alone, especially where you do not know anyone.  Luckily, earlier in the month, a friend invited me to a Couchsurfing meeting where I met some very nice people that convinced me to make an account on Couchsurfing.com and try it out for myself.
So how does this work?  If you are visiting a new area and are looking for a place to stay, search for people in that area that have room available.  Then, send them a CS request and hopefully somebody will accept.  Voila!  You now have a place to stay, AND know someone that is familiar with the area.  "But isn't it a bit odd to stay with someone in a strange place that you have never met before?"  Well, yes and no.  Hosts and guests leave reviews on each others' profiles regarding their experiences.  For example, a good host will have many positive reviews on their CS profile and is one you can feel pretty safe asking for a place to stay.
My host in Amsterdam had over 50 excellent reviews--and those reviews were correct.  My first CS host was excellent.  Might I add that he was VERY interesting and well traveled.  He biked through Europe and Asia for 4 years!!  In two or so years he plans to bike from Canada to South America, as he has never been to the Americas.  He had extensive knowledge of Dutch history and is quite eager to tell his guests all about it.  As soon as we met, he began to tell me that the main Amsterdam train station was built on the wrong side of the city.  This was because it was located near the center of the town, generating much unnecessary traffic as people were to go through the busiest parts of Amsterdam to get to the train.  This will be remedied within 10 years, however, as there is another train station being built on the outskirts of the town so that less people will have to go through the center, allowing the city to be better preserved.  When we got to his house, he took out a map and started telling me about how the Dutch dominated the trade 400 years ago with the V.O.C. (Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie)/ Dutch East India Company.  Then after the history lesson, he showed pointed out the must-see spots such as churches, museums, landmarks and streets I should walk to on the map.  Then in the morning, off with the map I went!

For some reason these pictures uploaded in the reversed order.































Most gorgeous train station I have ever seen?





In Rijks Museum

























Rijks Museum















The Red Light District...


Drugs and drug paraphernalia sold all over the place!  Quite different from what I am used to seeing in the States!









Canals and Houseboats galore!
























I was going to visit the Anne Frank House, but was not able to due to my limited time there.  At 8-9 am, THIS is what the line looked like.  












No comments:

Post a Comment